Caring for your newly rebuilt spindle
Smooth production relies on your machine’s spindle performance. Avoid spindle downtime and repairs with proper maintenance.
Use these seven simple maintenance tips to help keep your operations running smoothly.
1. Lubrication is the key to spindle performance and longevity.
To maximize the life of your spindle, keep your lubricating fluids clean and at safe operating levels – and adhere to the factory-recommended lubrication schedule. If you have an air/oil spindle, service the air-intake filters regularly.
2. Check spindle runout with a ground, calibrated spindle test bar every 6 months and/or after any crash.
Additionally, monitor your spindle’s spring force with a draw bar pull-force test. Pull force secures tool holders in the spindle. A sizable drop in force could lead to vibration and runout, which can damage your spindle and your parts.
3. Keep a constant watch on spindle vibration levels.
If your machine has built-in vibration sensing technology, don’t ignore any triggered alarms. Increased vibration typically points to worn spindle bearings, so be sure to replace them when necessary.
4. Maintain spindle-bearing lubrication
Although closed-unit spindles typically are factory lubricated for life, large spindle headstocks – such as those on big turning machines – need oil baths to lubricate their bearings. That's why it’s important to maintain the oil levels in these baths.
5. On a high-speed spindle with a cooling system, always make sure the chiller unit functions properly
A rise in chiller system output temperature usually indicates a spindle problem. If this occurs, a Mazak certified technician can check the system thoroughly.
6. Always re-install any machine covers that you remove for routine maintenance or any other reason
These covers protect the spindle, its motor and other components from contaminants that can infiltrate the machine.
7. When your spindle needs a repair or rebuild, it’s best to have the machine tool OEM perform these services
To ensure the use of factory-certified parts and repairs that meet original specifications, have your machine tool OEM perform repair or rebuild services.
Mazak offers free technical support on recommended maintenance, replacement options and processes.
Our network of eight Technology Centers strategically located across North America puts component machining demonstrations, experienced applications engineers and comprehensive training in close proximity to you. Furthermore, these Technology Centers play a key role in channeling customer input to Mazak manufacturing for the development of new machine tool technology.
Each Technology Center offers you access to:
Advanced Application Support
- Expert applications engineers can help you optimize your part-production processes and create effective manufacturing solutions.
- Collaborate with our certified cutting tool, workholding and automation partners to develop optimized turnkey manufacturing solutions.
- Test cut your toughest parts on our latest, most advanced machine tools.
- Gain secure applications development and complete design privacy of your individual manufacturing system.
Education & Training
- Education, training and seminar events in cooperation with our technology partners.
- Free access to the most advanced machine tools.
- Industry-focused education - General Aerospace, Energy, Jet Engine and Construction.
New Technology and Manufacturing Systems
- Experience the latest, most-advanced manufacturing systems that can optimize the processing of industry-specific components you produce every day.
- Talk with productivity experts who can help you select the best new machine tool technology for your business.
On-Site Training and Technology Seminars
- Participate in hands-on applications and operator development courses.
- Attend technical seminars held in conjunction with our partners.
- Benefit from market-focused events that provide valuable industry insight.
Service & Support
MPower gives you single-source access to end-to-end support for the lifetime of every Mazak machine. Sign up for technical training, access phone support, order parts, track a spindle rebuild and so much more. Mazak has you covered from day one, and we're with you every step of the way to ensure your success.
Whether you want CNC training, preventive maintenance, laser calibration, vibration analysis or answers to technical questions, access every aspect of service and support from a single point of contact for quick convenience.Stay up and running
Mazak machines carry a comprehensive 2-year parts and labor warranty that includes operator training and much more – in addition to no-charge technical phone support and software upgrades for the life of each machine.Access warranty coverage
With time-saving remote troubleshooting, Mazak service technicians can show you solutions on standard mobile devices and identify needed replacement parts to speed up repairs.Eliminate downtime
Identify, order and receive the replacements you need with unprecedented speed and ease through online access to every aspect of parts support. Whether you need a small part or a CNC repair, you're covered 24/7.
Monitor the status of CNC repairs online and receive a tracking number to verify return-shipping progress in transit.View Parts Support
Search for parts, verify pricing and availability, and track shipments 24/7 with our PartsWeb online ordering system. Pay for all PartsWeb transactions with a credit card.Order parts anytime
Parts Monthly Stats
Need to track your monthly parts usage? Retrieve a detailed report of what you've purchased or sent in for repairs.Watch your parts usage
Your spindle is the heart of your machine tool, and if it needs service, we have the ISO certified repair/rebuild capabilities you need, with quick turnaround and thorough results.
Our Spindle Rebuild Center turns around repairs or rebuilds within 3-5 days, including runoff, benchmarking and a 1-year or 4,000-hour warranty.Keep your spindles on task
Order a new or refurbished spindle, and your order ships the same day 95% of the time. Our parts inventory supports more than 600 spindle variations.Receive replacement spindles fast
Spindle Repair/Rebuild Status
Once you've sent a spindle in for service, track the status of your repair or rebuild online and watch as it progresses through our process.Track your spindle
Learn to operate, program and maintain your Mazak machine tools so you obtain the full value of your equipment, from installation throughout its working life. Take a self-paced course through our MPower On-Demand Learning (MODL) system, schedule an in-person class at one of our Technology and Technical Centers, or sign up for a customized seminar in your shop.
Learn to gain the full productivity from your Mazak equipment. Train to achieve your competitive best and keep up with what's new in manufacturing.Train for success
MPower On-Demand Learning (MODL)
Enhance operator training and access essential courses whenever and wherever you need them. Tailor instruction to what your shop needs to know.Schedule learning opportunities
Course Catalog and Training Classes
Learn troubleshooting, advanced programming and basic to advanced machine operations with our virtual and onsite training classes.Find the courses you need
Use these helpful links to take full advantage of all the great support features that MPower offers you. Find your local points of contact for the Mazak support team, and review the official terms and conditions that apply to sales and service.
Scroll to locate your service support team by region
|Florence, Kentucky||Martin Wilber
|Los Angeles||Carlos Santos
011 52 818 221 0918
|North American Service||Contact|
|National Service Manager||Jason Fights
|Assistant North American Service Manager||Hiroshi Ito
|North American Parts Manager||Steve Trammel
|Parts Order Entry||Toni Abdon
|Training Supervisor||Roy Gentry
|After Hours Service||800-231-1456|
|After Hours Parts Support||Register for after hours parts support.|